Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Emily's Room

Emily's room before we moved in

Emily's room has come together very slowly. It's never been a priority for me, since she really only sleeps in it. Our upstairs is off limits to our kids as there are giant holes in the walls and floors, the occasion board with nails sticking out of it, and LOTS of dangerous tools.
Actually, Emily is old enough and knows enough that she would be okay upstairs on her own. But once Emily goes upstairs, you can guess which little boy cries and cries until he is allowed to follow her. So we've restricted access for now, and once our room and the new bathroom is finished, I'm sure they will both be thrilled to be able to play in their own rooms.
For a long time, her room stayed untouched.
The first time Emily saw her new room

But then (and this would only happen to Emily) she started having nightmares about swirling colours that would attack her. The colours she described were the same colours as the stars on the wall paper. If I wasn't Emily's mother and therefor know her psychotic tendencies, I would have never blamed the stars. But I grabbed the left over paint (thank you, Garrods!) and rolled over the stars. That night, the nightmares stopped. I know.......
Eventually I got around to painting the walls to match her bedding, and I took the shelves down with the intention of painting them white. After a few weeks of trying to find time to paint without my little monkeys trying to "help" me, I had them finished. AFTER all my time consuming work, Justin nonchalantly mentioned to me "you know, I could have picked up some white shelves at the hardware store. Those types of shelves are really cheap." I was a tiny bit irritated. Oh well.

Next came the letters, her most cherished princess poster, and just today, I put up a stick on mural to act as a head board. We do have one for her, it's just "one of those things" that never gets done. Emily is thrilled with the castle, since it goes along with her poster. I think it looks pretty cute, too.

close up of the castle


The finished product, for now. Eventually, she will get new carpet, and I would like to paint the bottom half of her walls an off-white, and put up a chair rail. But for now, I think it's okay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful & Emily surely must be very proud of it!The castle does make a nice headboard.

MVD said...

Looks great, where did you get the castle, because you know now that Abby saw it, she will request one:-)

Heather VMS said...

Very cute! That's a great idea for a temp headboard!