Wednesday, June 27, 2012

4 - 1 = 3

So today is the first day that my blog has gone private.  There really weren't that many of you to add - about 30 or so.  Maybe more will come out of the woodwork, but if my reader list stays small that is fine and dandy with me.

Anyway, on to my first private blog post.

(This post turned out to big WAY longer then originally planned.  If you know why Justin is away, what he is doing and why he is there, feel free to skip to list below :) )

As many of you know, Justin is currently running the DuPont job up in Mississauga.  He is there Monday to Thursday overseeing all the trades posted there by Pro.  He actually is not there to do any electrical work - Justin barely does any electrical anymore - but to do all the controls.  I wish I could explain to you exactly what that means, but I barely understand it myself!  It is very complicated and you need to be very smart and an excellent problem solver to do what he is doing (at least to do it well).  So he is doing his own job, overseeing the electricians and plumbers, going to meetings, scheduling projects and many many other things.  It is hard for him to come home to his family and leave his work in Mississauga.  But he is doing an excellent job.   I hear other wives sometimes complain about the stress that their husbands are under and how it negatively affects their families.  I am thankful for Justin's strength and ability to tuck the stress of his job away and be himself while he is at home with us for the weekend. 

As you can imagine living without your husband for most of the week is a challenge and huge adjustment for all of us.  Justin misses the kids (and me!) while he is away and is sad that each weekend he comes home he can see a noticable change in Jacob.  He carries the stress of knowing that I am here taking on 100% of the parenting and household jobs.

The kids miss him like crazy.  Emily draws lots and lots of pictures for him each week and Jacob frequently tells me he has "lost his daddy".  We take videos through the week and text them to him and usually can FaceTime each night, although sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I probably miss him the most.  The days are long and the evenings are very quiet.  Suppers are eaten in about 5 minutes as there is no one there to share the events of the day with.  On a less emotional side I miss having a husband to take out the garbage, unclog the drain, and recently, catch mice.   

BUT - this is not how this post was supposed to end up!  I logged on to list all the POSITIVE aspects of your husband being away for the week.  Yes, there are SOME positive things to be thankful for.


1 - You can keep the temperature of your house the way YOU like it.

2 - Less laundry, less dishes, less formal meals to make.

3 - When he is home on the weekends we make our time very purposeful.

4 - The house stays WAY WAY cleaner.

5 - Freedom to run errands at any time.  If we want to head to Old Navy at 4:45pm, that's okay!

6 -  As feelings of loneliness increase, relationships with other family members and friends also increase.  I've spent more time with my family and friends in these last few weeks then ever before!

7 - You can talk to your sister on the phone for the entire evening without feeling guilty that you're ignoring your husband.

8 - You can plan surprise projects for him and you have a week to complete them!  This week my mom came out and helped me REALLY revive my gardens. They no longer look overgrown and have flowers and mulch.  Thanks, mom!  Justin has no idea and it will be a nice 'welcome home' surprise.  (He never reads my blog!)

9 - Our grocery bills are lower.  One less man eating food on a daily basis means less groceries to buy!

10-  You get invitied over for supper more frequently because people know Justin is gone! I've had some delicious meals at my mom and dad's recently :)

11-  Your friends husbands (and your dad) try to help fill the gap by helping out with "manly" jobs.

12 - When you are apart all week you miss each other fiercely and are reminded EVERY day how much you love the other person and how thankful you are to have them in your life. 


Justin has already been away for 8 weeks and will be gone another 6 (hopefully no more).  Our time apart does seem to get easier with each passing week.  The kids and I have more of a "when dad is gone" routine and we can get into the swing of it fairly easily.  Thursdays Jacob is a grump all day - that seems to be his breaking point.  We are all looking forward to August 3rd - it can't get here soon enough :)

4 comments:

Mel said...

Great'ful' perspective Jen! It's hard enough waiting for your husband to come home on a normal day let alone waiting for the weekend! You are a good help meet! :O)

Belinda said...

I loved this post Jen. You have a great perspective on it all. I have always thanked God my husband does not have a travelling job. That would be a challenge for me.

Although, I do agree, that when Ken is gone I can have the house the temp that I like! It is much cleaner and having a different schedule can be fun for a few days anyways! (o

I hope your time passes quickly. Thanks for sharing!

Lynnette VD said...

I remember how hard it was for only three weeks right after we were married! New house, new town...and a husband gone all weeks was very hard on me, especially with my family not living close enough to pop in at! I'm praying that these next weeks go quickly and it doesn't go longer!

HeatherVMS said...

I can't imagine not having Ben home, or even working shifts. I'm SO thankful he works 8-4:30 every day. Hope the time goings quickly for you. Praying for strength for you and the kiddos and Justin too!