Monday, June 25, 2012

My baby has grown up.

Wearing her long white dress, hair all in curls, little ballet flats and music books tucked under her arm she no longer looked like my little 5 year old girl.  But then she ran to me and wrapped her arms around my waist and confessed "Mom, I am so nervous about playing in front of all those people. I can't stop thinking about making a mistake."  

She was nervous, I was nervous.  I wanted this first experience to be a good one.  We told her it didn't matter if she made a mistake or two or twenty two.  We would be proud of her for following through and for trying her best.

She did awesome.  Her first piece went incredibly well and she made a few minor mistakes in her second piece (she was supposed to play one octave higher the second time through Twinkle Twinkle and her hands did not land in middle C position - it threw her a bit but she kept going!)

She was the only one to sing (I am proud mama!) and closed the evening with The Goodbye Song that she sings at the end of each lesson.

We are grateful for Janelle, who has taught her with patience and love.  I highly recommend her to anyone looking to enroll their kids in piano!Emily LOVES her and will listen to and cooperate with her 1000 times better than with me.



5 comments:

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Wow, great job Emily!! So nice when they are brave enough to do this...gives them confidence later on to tackle more things even if they have a bad one in there. I'd love to be on your private blog list :-). I catch up every once in awhile.

Hugs, Jacqui

Bethany said...

brave girl! I'd never be able to sing infront of people! (then or now! lol) beautifully done, Emily :)

Wilma Pennings said...

So brave! I probably couldn't do it. I did it when I was taking piano, but I wouldn't dare now. Very nice singing, too! I'm sorry I missed it.

Mel said...

WOW! Very very sweet! Good job Miss. Emily!

HeatherVMS said...

Great job! She's so sweet!