Sunday, March 29, 2009

Decisions, Decisions.

I need some help in the decorating department. I've never been good at choosing colours - hence my neutrally painted house. I can match a skirt to a shirt just fine, but wall colours are a different story.
I bought a crib bedding set off of Kijiji for Justin Jr. I just couldn't see re-using my set from Emily - poor guy would be sleeping amongst pink butterflies and daisies. I've been having incredible luck with Kijiji lately - this bedding set has never been used, (bought by a mom for her to-be-born granddaughter but rejected by the daughter since the bedding is quite boy-ish) but couldn't be returned due to being purchased in the States. So I swept in and bought some awesome bedding for a fraction of the price. Getting a good deal is so rewarding.
But I may not have thought this all the way through. I'm at a loss for decorating ideas. As you can see in the picture the bedding is sage green and has a French Toile design.
Here is the current nursery:
A bit girlie, I know! I'm hoping to leave the bottom half of the wall the same off-white that it is now. The picture shows the bedding with a tan wall, but I don't know how good that would look in real life, especially if I leave the chair rail up. So what do you think?
Oh, and I know - aren't we moving? The answer is probably not. We (Justin) have started drawing up plans for a family room and bathroom addition on the main floor off the kitchen. He used Chief Architect to put together the plans so that I can visually see how it would turn out - it looks awesome. As long as we get permission from the city then we'll probably be heading down that path. Part of the decision to take the house off the market is due to the total frustration of trying to sell . Each person who comes through LOVES our kitchen and HATES our 1 bathroom feature of the house. I'm okay with people not liking the one bathroom only thing - but come on. Read the MLS listing BEFORE you come. BEFORE I clean like a crazy woman. BEFORE I pack up my kid and get out of my house. The listing clearly states we have ONE bathroom. But enough ranting. We also really like our neighbourhood and our property. And an addition is cheaper. And I love my kitchen. And my central vacuum and new furnace & A/C, and my carpeted stairs, and my french doors. Man, why doesn't anyone want to buy this place? It's awesome ;)
So for now the plan is to stay put. But that's today's plan. Who knows what tomorrow's plan will be??

5 comments:

Laura said...

I think a tan with the white chair rail would look nice. You could also go with a green similar to the one in the bedding set. The white chair rail would not make it seem like it is too much (at least, I don't think it would)

Mark, Linda, Alex, Carsten & Savannah said...

I'd probably ask Stacey or Jannyne for decorating help...But I love the bedding set!!! Very very good find :o)

Mark, Linda, Alex, Carsten & Savannah said...

Maybe the darkest green you can get out of the bedding though?

MVD said...

I'm no decorater, and I too would ask Jannyne for sure. But, if I didn't have Jannyne I'd probably do a very pale green that is in the set, or just a creamy colour, and add some pictures to the walls to brighten it up.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, now I feel pressured! :0) I like the idea of keeping the bottom the way it is, and then picking a light green from the bedding set to paint the top... not too light that it doesn't look much different than the white bottom, but not too dark that it looks top-heavy - know what I mean? The greens in your main floor are really nice - would any of those colours work with the bedding?
BTW, very nice bedding set!