Monday, February 27, 2012

Half Dutch

The other day I was baking boterkoek for the very first time. Emily asked me what I was baking and I explained to her that I was making a type of cake for dad.
We've never formally told Emily that Justin is Dutch. It just hasn't really come up! So I explained to her that Opa and Oma Pennings and Papa and Gramma Haveman came to Canada from Holland and they had children who had children... so and so forth....
She then said to me "so then I am Dutch, too".
I told her "Well, you are half Dutch. I am not Dutch and so you are only half Dutch."
She paused a moment, furrowed her brow and said "Mom, that is NOT fair. I want to be WHOLE Dutch."
We then had another simple and brief explanation concerning genetics - which she understood surprisingly well - and she paused again.
"Okay, fine. I'm half Dutch. But is Jacob half Dutch too?" she asked.
"Yes" I said "He is half Dutch".
"Good. If I am only half Dutch he better be only half Dutch, too."

Then she walked away.

Apparently being Dutch is better than being English. However.... a few days ago I made boterkoek, yesterday we had nasi for lunch, and tonight we are having boerenkool for supper. Maybe I can be an honourary Dutchie ;)

2 comments:

Lynnette VD said...

Emily makes me laugh!

HeatherVMS said...

Emily is hilarious! I think you are definitely an honourary dutch woman! Will all the dutch stuff you have to deal with, you`re becoming dutch by osmosis :-)