Friday, January 27, 2012

Ta-Da!!

I've always wanted to learn how to sew. It's been on my "to-do" life list for a long time. And after learning that a lovely lady from our church offered sewing classes, I couldn't resist.
I had such a great time making my first project. I had never touched a sewing machine before, so I was quite a novice. (I still am quite a novice ;) )A bobbin?? What is that?? And to me? Threading a sewing machine looked as complicated at nuclear physics.
But Joan was patient and kind and explained everything to me (sometimes twice or three times). And she gave us cookies and tea - an added bonus!!
So thank you, Joan, for helping me check off this to-do item. I had so much fun and can't wait to sew again. I have been scoping out our house for a good sewing spot and I have two places I plan to commandeer as soon as I buy a sewing machine.
Justin is supportive of my hobby choice. I have never cycled through hobbies, so I don't have a bad track record. This past week he planned his work schedule around the nights I was at sewing class and was home on time to watch the kids. Thanks, honey!! He thinks sewing is a practical skill to learn and I can't disagree.
So without further ado, here is my very first sewing project.
Don't look too closely at the stitches -they may not be completely (hardly) straight in some areas. (I would try to keep up with Megan and her sweat-shop pace and then I would veer off course. So I stuck with my slow and steady "cha-chunk........cha-chunk........"rhythm and was able stay straight(er) ).

BEFORE:
AFTER:


This bag was made for Emily. She is going to use it to carry her piano books to and from lessons. It was hard to find the outer material as it needed to be stiff. I fell in love with the inside material and the bright blue was about all that would match. Emily loves it and is looking forward to using it this afternoon.

7 comments:

HeatherVMS said...

Awesome job! Sewing is so fun and useful too!

Lynnette VD said...

Great job Jen!! Sewing is so much fun! I love the material!!

Belinda said...

OOOOHHHH love it! It is secretly on my list to do too! You did a great job. LOVE the colors! (O:

Mary said...

Great job, Jen! Sewing is so much fun, well,usually. Sometimes it can be a little nerve wracking too, when things just don't go the way you want them to go. Practice makes perfect :)

Wilma Pennings said...

Jen! Nice job! This will give you the `bug`.

Mel said...

Very pretty! Can't wait to learn how to sew one of these day!!!!

Sarah by the Sea said...

Jen, this is great! :) I love the inside material too.