Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saying Goodbye to a pair of old friends





I finally decided that it's time to replace my 5 year old, $4.50, Payless shoes. I will never throw them away, and will in fact continue to wear them (but perhaps only in the backyard). These shoes are a part of me. They have multiple war scars on them and I have "broken them in" perfectly. These shoes have the purple paint from my very first apartment on them. They also have the burgundy paint from my very first house. They carried me into the bridal salons to pick out my wedding dress, and carried me into the delivery room the night I had Emily. I wore them on the trip to Ottawa to bury my Grandfather, and wore them on the trip to Australia to visit my sister. They were also the only shoes that could stretch enough to fit me during the last few months of my pregnancy. I love these shoes. And I will probably never find a pair of shoes as comfortable.
I also like my new snazzy shoes that I just purchased yesterday. They are somewhat comfortable but they just aren't the same. I know I'll keep wearing the old ones, but the fact that I have bought new shoes to replace them can almost bring a tear to my eye (almost). But don't worry -- I'm sure you'll see me wearing these old, ratty, shoes - I'm not a fan of change!

5 comments:

Noordam's Blog said...

Oh I so know what you are feeling. I threw out my favorite sweatshirt... I totally regret it! Hang on to your shoes and wear them till they fall right apart!!!

Danielle said...

Hahaha, this post is too funny! I know exactly how you feel. I usually wear my favorite shoes til they are so broken and get my feet all wet.

Ben & Heather said...

That's so funny! I have the same thing with a certain t-shirt. I've had it foreve. It's just so comfy, I can't bear to throw it out:-)

Anonymous said...

HEHE oh Jen you are too funny. At least now, when they do get a proper burial.. you will always have these pictures to remember them. They sound like they have been through many events in your life, but perhapes they are tired and need to retire..=)

Taunya said...

fun post Jen! I came here to see your not me monday...you gonna try it? i might later today. I love the new ones but I can see they won't be taking you as many places as the old ones (not quite as comfy looking)I agree with Stacey save em until they have holes and don't work anymore. I saved my favourtie comfy blue sandals for my basement- couldnt bear to throw them out, I just might have to when we move though, I have so many shoes that I rarely wear.I get a favourite pair and ignore the others